Krafton, the renowned game studio behind PUBG, has unveiled a groundbreaking NFT-powered metaverse mobile game called Overdare. This innovative project is set to revolutionize user-generated content within the gaming world and is built on the Settlus blockchain. While the official launch is slated for the first or second quarter of the upcoming year, a soft launch is planned for December of this year to give fans a taste of what’s to come.
Overdare is not just your typical mobile game; it embraces NFT technology and empowers users to create their own content, akin to the popular platform Roblox. The game is developed using Epic’s Unreal Engine 5 and features generative AI tools that enable players to design games across various genres. It’s also a social platform, allowing players to communicate via chat and customize their avatars, promoting individuality.
Overdare’s virtual world is expansive, offering players the freedom to use AI tools to craft their own games and environments. Furthermore, they can engage in a wide range of games created by fellow users, attend virtual concerts, and personalize their avatars.
This ambitious project is the result of a partnership between Krafton and Naver Z, a company specializing in augmented reality technology. Krafton holds an 85% stake in the venture, with Naver Z owning the remaining 15%.
Overdare aims to establish a “create-to-earn” gaming economy, enabling players to buy and sell digital assets within the game as NFTs. This shift towards NFTs is driven by the promise of transparent and secure transactions.
To support this economy, Krafton and Naver Z have chosen the Settlus blockchain. This blockchain system will allow players to earn money in popular cryptocurrencies like Coinbase and Circle’s USDC stablecoin. The integration of Cosmos technology, recently highlighted at Korea Blockchain Week, promises to streamline the process. Settlus, developed by Krafton, is touted as “the future of the creator economy” on its official Twitter account.
In a recent Medium blog post, Krafton’s Settlus hinted at a potential “NFT licensing system,” although details remain scarce. The blog also addresses potential challenges in Overdare’s planned NFT economy, including the option to make NFTs optional rather than mandatory and ensuring a balanced inventory of items. Additionally, it intends to address the issue of volatile token prices to ensure a positive experience for players and creators.
Regarding the role of Settlus’s own token in this ecosystem, it remains unclear. The community may await further information to learn whether Settlus intends to create a new token or exclusively employ USDC. The adoption of stablecoins like USDC is favored for their price stability compared to volatile cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum, as they are designed to maintain a fixed value pegged to the US dollar.
With Krafton’s strong reputation in the gaming industry and the massive popularity of PUBG with 300 million monthly active users, Overdare holds significant potential to shape the future of the metaverse. This project represents a promising leap into the world of NFTs, user-generated content, and blockchain technology, offering gamers new avenues for creativity and financial opportunities.